I am a big fan of Fennel oil but it is because I really like Licorice. Funny thing is that although I love the candy I can’t stand Licorice tea and I am a dedicated tea drinker.
Fennel is a hardy herb and I have recently started cooking with Fennel as well or using raw Fennel in salads. Easy to prepare, delicious and nutritious.
The essential oil however is made from the seeds. The ancient Greeks would chew on the seeds as part of their training for the Olympic games because they believed that the seeds help with stamina, strength and productivity.
Fennel essential oil
Uses and benefits
1. Fennel oil is probably best known for the ability to improve digestion. I regularly reach for the Fennel to bring relief of irritable bowel syndrome. Including fennel in your diet on a regular basis is an easy and nutritious way to help your digestive system perform better.
2. Great oil to use for flatulence and constipation. It can bring relief of bloating.
3. Diffusing Fennel oil can help to curb your appetite which makes it a fantastic oil to use for weight loss.
4. Antispasmodic properties are the reason why Fennel oil relieves intestinal spasms as well as menstrual cramps. Fennel oil may help to relieve colic in infants. Always dilute essential oils with a carrier oil but dilute it even further when applying it to children and especially infants.
5. Fennel oil is very helpful for menstrual issues such as PMS, cramps.
6. Fennel oil is an expectorant so it is a good choice of oil to use for respiratory conditions like bronchitis. Drop a couple of drops of Fennel essential oil in a bowl of boiling water and put the bowl inside your sink to keep it secure. Then throw a towel over your head and do an easy steam inhalation to open up the airways. Breath in the steam for a minute or two. Just be careful not to have your face to close to the bowl of boiling water to prevent burns.
7. Fennel oil can be useful to decongest the lymphatic system
8. Diuretic properties makes it a good oil to use for swollen ankles or just puffiness. Fennel oil can assist in dealing with cellulite as well.
9. Fennel oil help with clarity of mind and getting rid of brain fog.
10. On an emotional level Fennel essential oil can give you the courage to articulate and communicate feelings that you would normally just push down and they would accumulate in the intestines as nervous spasms and gas. Fennel oil is a good choice for those who tend to worry and overthink everything.
Blends well with
- – Oils of the mint family
- – Oils of the wood family such as Sandalwood
- – Citrus oils such as Sweet Orange, Bergamot and Lemon
- – Spicy oils such as Black Pepper, Ginger
General Safety Information
- – Do not take essential oils internally or apply essential oils undiluted topically.
- – Follow Dilution recommendations on the Essential oil Dilution chart.
- – Pregnant women have to consult with a qualified aromatherapist and or midwife and doctor before using essential oils, especially topically.
- – If you have liver damage, cancer, suffers from epilepsy or other medical problems and take medicine on a regular basis then you have to use essential oils under the guidance of a trained aromatherapist.
- – Before using essential oils on children you should consult with a qualified aromatherapist.
- – You can have a read here about using essential oils for children.
- – Check whether the essential oil of your choice is safe to use around your pets. Here is a list of essential oils safety for dogs.
Fennel essential oil
Botanical name – Foeniculum vulgare
Color – very pale yellow
Consistency – Thin
Aroma – smells like licorice, sweet and peppery